2003 25 foot eco Airstream Safari – On the Green Road
2003 Airstream Safari 25 foot travel trailer with eco renovation details below:
Welcome to our Eco Airstream page dedicated to our Airstream remodel. For all Airstream related blog posts – see Airstream blog posts. You can also see our post on JUST STATS.
Purchased in 2010, renovated for 1 year, lived and traveled in it full-time for 18 months – OVER 12,000 miles…
- Walls and ceiling – Natural earthen plaster sponsored by American Clay – now with over 11,000 miles traveled
- 500 watt Solar power system sponsored by Applied Solar Energy, Outback Power and Bogart Engineering– Two 130 watt flexible panels (High Flex Solar) and one 240 watt adjustable rigid panel. Includes Outback trio of products – a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, 60amp charge controller and Mate 2 digital monitor. Existing batteries were replaced by four Fullriver DC224-6 6V AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Deep Cycle. We also use a Bogart Trimetric 2025RV battery monitor which tells data like % full, amps coming in or amps being used.
- Tea Leaf Supreme eco – friendly mattress sponsored by Keetsa
- Vida cork planks and natural linoleum flooring
- Paperstone and natural linoleum counter tops
- Organic twill fabric for reupholstered couch/sleeper sponsored by O Ecotextiles.
- Madagascar Ebony Echo Wood veneer (covering existing cabinets) sponsored by Hardwoods Inc (material) and masterfully installed by Eco Craft Cabinetry. Installation involved a low VOC 3M contact adhesive and finish.
- Interior and exterior LED lighting sponsored by Elemental LED. Included interior strip lights, puck lights, dimmers and waterproof exterior strip lights.
- Lumicor recycled eco architectural resin shower door – 1/2 inch silver spun
- Kirei board office desk using a low VOC finish (see post and pics here)
- Composting toilet – Nature’s Head (waterless)
During the remodel, our goal was to recycle the removed Airstream parts as much as possible. To see where they went check out this blog post.
Some remodel photos are on this page but many more are here:
Contact us if you have any questions or comments.
- Electric jack
- Dinette removal
- Fantastic Fan with rain sensor in both the front and back ceiling area – improving air circulation
- Newly wired for HDTV – 12 volt LCD TV will double as computer monitor for working on the road
- Black water tank removal – goodbye stinky tank!
- Ocean Air roller blinds on all 7 windows
*Full list of stats here
Some Airstream info: A home for the road, the Airstream has long intrigued Americans as an ideal combination of their twin loves, vehicle and home. The silver bullet is the essence of taking life on the road with style. How can you not be captivated by it’s sleek, sexy design that seems to stop time. When it came time to buy a used RV it was never a choice really – we were always on the look out for Airstreams, even from a young age. Watching them go down the highway effortlessly and back in the day being towed by a car instead of a truck. A timeless classic that we are now very proud to own. More RV info. at www.airstream.com.
2010 Airstream Bambi
Neat fact: Airstreams are designed to spend time on the road, not in the landfills. As such, nearly 70% of all Airstream trailers ever produced are still on the road!
The rounded, slippery shape not only looks great but it makes for better towing in every respect. Airstreams enjoy a 20% advantage in towing efficiency over standard “white box” trailers. And over the life of an Airstream, that’s a lot of fuel saved.
All the beauties
Go to home page – biofuel – sponsors – contact us – about – inspiration